The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of secretarial and administrative work for the department requiring initiative and independent judgment. The incumbent works independently under general direction, handles problems and non-routine situations and interpret guidelines and University and department procedures. Performs some or all of the duties listed below, as assigned.
- Performs a variety of administrative and/or secretarial support activities such as composing replies to correspondence on own initiative, interpreting and explaining established policy and procedure in response to inquiries from a variety of sources.
- Assigns work to office staff and monitors its production.
- Prepares or directs preparation of minutes, notices, manuals, agendas, decrees and correspondence with all supporting documentation, requiring application of a specialized knowledge of the assigned function.
- Researches, summarizes and analyses information; compiles data to prepare special and recurring reports containing specialized information; selects relevant information from a variety of sources.
- Screens phone calls and visitors, directing to appropriate staff or department when necessary; provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge and may interpret department policy, procedure and operations.
- Types or word processes correspondence, reports or other documents from rough draft, corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation errors; edits wording without changing intended message.
- Corresponds with University and department staff answering queries and providing assistance to enhance customer service and unit workflow. Develops and maintains processes and procedures for handling customer matters.
- Takes minutes at meetings.
- Develops presentations for meetings.
- Schedule meetings.
- May handle petty cash and other financial transactions.
- May assist the design, writing and editing of various documents and publications.
- May administer and provide training on databases or systems which support the unit.
- Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of one foreign language preferably English
- Baccalaureate Degree / Higher Diploma
- 6 – 10 years relevant experience
- Knowledge of basic accounting
- Receiving and directing visitors
- Extensive software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong communication skills
- Disseminating information